“Sexual Trafficking is the recruitment, transportation (within national or across international borders),transfer, harboring, or receipt of persons for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation. Sexual trafficking is accomplished by means of fraud, deception, threat of or use of force, abuse of a position of vulnerability, and other forms of coercion.
Trafficking of persons exists in two distinct types: labor trafficking and sexual trafficking. “This new distinction avoids the problem of combining into a single category both labor violations and violations that are more akin to a forcible sexual assault.” 6
I am passionate about helping these victims any way I can which is why I want you to learn about this horrible industry. Educate yourself and your friends, and maybe you can help someone who would have otherwise become a victim of sex trafficking.
Below are recent statistics about sex trafficking and here is a website to look at to get more involved: http://www.thehomefoundation.net/about-us/
* 1.2 million children are trafficked every year; this is in addition to the millions already held captive by trafficking 1
* Every 2 minutes a child is being prepared for sexual exploitation 1
* The average victim is forced to have sex up to 40 times a day 5
* The average age of a trafficked victim is 14 years old 5
* Approximately 30 million children have lost their childhood through sexual exploitation over the past 30 years1
* Sex trafficking is an engine of the global AIDS epidemic 4
* People are trafficked from 127 countries to be exploited in 137 countries 3
* Between 14,500 and 17,500 victims are trafficked into the USA each year 4
* The total market value of illicit Sex Trafficking is estimated to be in excess of $32 billion 2
* By 2010 Sex Trafficking will be the number one crime worldwide 5
(1-UNICEF, 2-UN, 3-UNODC, 4-US Department of State, 5-The A21 Campaign)
(6- The Protection Project, “What is Trafficking?” The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, 2000 http://22.214.171.124:80/vt/tra.htm) http://www.iast.net/thefacts.htm
Get involved and help end this horrific worldwide industry. Pray for the victims, violators, and those who invest money in the sin of trafficking.
For more information about how to have a Biblical understanding of sex and dating relationships
~ Buy the Book ~
No Sex in the City
Lindsey N. Isham